An A level in Art and Design encourages students to develop: intellectual, imaginative, creative, investigative, analytical,experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills. The ability to gain aesthetic understanding and critical judgement, independence of mind in relation to developing their own ideas. Developing an interest in, and enjoyment of art, craft and design experience of working with a broad range of media, including traditional and new media technologies an understanding of the interrelationships between art, craft and design processes and an awareness of the contexts in which they operate.

A Level Art is a two year course in which students develop 2 main units of work;Unit 1 a Personal Portfolio (coursework) and Unit 2 an Externally Set Assignment (exam). Coursework or Unit 1 accounts for 60% of the final grade and the exam or Unit 2 for the other 40%.

Unit 1

Incorporates three major elements: supporting studies, practical work, and a personal study.

Supporting studies and practical work will comprise a portfolio of development work and outcomes based on themes and ideas developed from personal starting points. Students will complete 2-3 projects based on different themes in the first year before selecting a final theme to explore in great depth in year 2.

The personal study will be evidenced through critical written communication showing contextual research and understanding in a minimum 1000 words of continuous prose, which may contain integrated images. The personal study comprises 12% of the total qualification and is marked out of 18. This will be completed in year 2 in conjunction with the final project.

Work must cover all four Assessment Objectives.

Marks available: 90.

Unit 2

Incorporates two major elements:preparatory studies and the 15–hour period of sustained focus.

Preparatory studies will comprise a portfolio of practical and written

development work based on the Externally Set Assignment.

During the 15–hour period of sustained focus under examination conditions, students will produce final outcome(s)extending from their preparatory studies in response to the Externally Set Assignment.

The Externally Set Assignment is released on 1 February and contains a theme and suggested starting points.

Students have from 1 February until the commencement of the final 15–hour period of sustained focus to develop preparatory studies.

Work must cover all four Assessment Objectives.

Marks available: 72.

The Assessment Objectives

AO1 Develop ideas through sustained and focused investigations informed by contextual and other sources, demonstrating analytical and critical understanding         25 %

AO2 Explore and select appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes, reviewing and refining ideas as work develops       25 %

AO3 Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions, reflecting critically on work and progress       25 %

AO4 Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and, where appropriate,makes connections between visual and other elements       25%

Trips and Visits

Students will have the opportunity to visit several different galleries as part of their contextual research.Students are expected to also use their own time to visit sites of artist interest to help develop independence and to enhance their own investigations and projects.

Equipment

Students are required to have basic art equipment at home to complete Home Learning. This should include colouring pencils, acrylic paints, shading pencils and pens. Art packs with all the equipment needed are available to purchase from the academy at a competitive price.  We encourage students to buy an A3 or A4 bound, hardback sketch book to ensure their work is beautifully presented and to enable easy transportation of work to and from school.

Facilities

Students are taught in a purpose built UG art room. This room is for exclusive use of art students and can be utilised in free periods for independent work. The room has a computer for research andwritten work. Students are expected to maintain the cleanliness of the room and ensure they respect the equipment and the space.

Home Learning

Home Learning is an essential part of the course. Students are set tasks once a week and will be required to carry out 4-5 hours of independent work on these tasks.

Students' artwork will be keptfor up to a year after they have completed the course in case of recalls and for display purposes. Students will be contacted to collect work when it is available.